Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Pennsylvania Trip

Last week I went to Pennsylvania to help my sister Jessie while her son Jack is in the hospital with botulism; you can check the Chin family blog for updates. I spent most of my time watching Amelia and Colin and one of the highlights of the trip was going for a visit to the hospital to meet with the person who helps brothers and sisters of the patients get comfortable at the hospital. They had a very large doll (she said it cost upwards of $900 for it) that had a belly you could open to see the organs inside, the leg opened up to see the bone, and a few other things. They each got their own smaller dolls with hospital gowns that they could give shots to, put bandaids on, use alcohol swabs, etc. They hadn't quite gotten their fill at the hospital, so when we got back to Jessie's house we played doctor some more. Except this time they had me for a patient and not just the dolls.

This is Amelia instructing me on the best way to give the doll its medicine.



Colin giving me a shot in the leg, then coming at my face for a shot. I was covered in tape and bandaids by the time we were through (it was the cheapest wax job I've ever had) and I was completely sanitized by alcohol swabs.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

What an amazing auntie!

Stacie Aho said...

How nice of you to go out there and help. Did Molly and Claire go too? I'm glad to hear little Jack is doing better...

Lauren said...

No, Molly and Claire didn't come, thank heaven. It would have been a nightmare plane ride!